TURBINE ELECTRIC COOLING FANS
Heavy duty TURBINE ELECTRIC FANS [12-, 24- and 48-volt motors are permanent brush type] are the world’s largest battery-operated cooling fans. High performance assemblies up to 36″ diameter can be used on most cooling applications found on motorcycles, automobiles, high performance cars, racing trucks, over-the-road tractors, trucks, buses and off-highway equipment. Most assemblies are fully reversible [will push or pull air] and can be used to replace most conventional belt-driven or factory-installed electric fans. Units easily adapt to radiators, charged air coolers or other types of heat exchangers and can be used on select applications to increase fuel economy or help solve fan alignment problems and engine overheating failures. No other electric fans cover more applications, provide more air flow, come in larger diameters, or have a better mounting system.
NOTE: UNITS ARE NOT SUITABLE TO OPERATE IN EXPLOSIVE ENVIRONMENTS OR AVIATION APPLICATIONS.
WHY CHOOSE A TURBINE ELECTRIC ON-OFF FAN
- Improves fuel economy (up to 15%) and performance because it operates off batteries – not engine horsepower.
- Reduces maintenance costs because it is thermostatically controlled and operates only when necessary. Other types of on-off fans are constantly turning, wearing out internal components of the fan hub.
- Field proven since 1980.
- Can meet most OEM applications.
- Increases vehicle output by eliminating the large horsepower requirements of belt-driven on-off fans.
- Provides better control of engine temperature – increasing motor life.
- Increases belt and water pump life.
- In most cases, costs less to install and maintain.
- Reduces vibration and noise since it is not attached to the motor.
- Eliminates fan alignment problems on vehicles, allowing greater flexibility in the design of cooling systems.
- Allows easier access to front-mounted engine accessories.
- Universal – will fit many vehicles, reducing costly inventories.
- Provides better cooling at idle.
- Does not require lubrication.
- Reversible – will push or pull air.
- Does not require an air source for fan engagement.
- Easily mounts, using our telescopic or flat steel mounting hardware.
- Can be used for auxiliary cooling.
- Allows heat exchangers to be easily relocated.
THE EFE ADVANTAGE
Turbine Electric Fans will let your cooling system operate at peak efficiency. They help improve performance and increase fuel economy because they operate only when necessary from batteries – not engine horsepower. Other types of fans, including on-off belt-driven fans, require up to 50 hp when they are engaged. When they are off, they are constantly turning, wearing out belts and internal components of the fan hub.
HOW A TURBINE ELECTRIC FAN WORKS
On engine cooling applications, coolant temperature is monitored by an electric thermostat sensor. At a pre-determined temperature, the thermostat sensor closes, starting the electric fan, cooling the radiator. As the engine cools, the thermostat sensor opens, stopping the fan.
On other types of heat exchanger applications, the cycling of the electric fan is monitored by a sensor that responds to changes in oil or air temperature. On air conditioning applications, the operation of the fan is controlled by an electric switch that responds to changes in head pressure.
HOW TO SELECT A REPLACEMENT FOR YOUR BELT-DRIVEN FAN
Most over-the-road vehicles, equipped with clean heavy duty radiators that benefit from ram cooling, can replace their conventional belt-driven fans with electrics. To select a fan system, measure the height and width of the radiator core. It is important that as much of the radiator surface as possible be covered with electric fans. Refer to the application chart in the appropriate section of this catalog for fan selection.
Our Engineering Department should be consulted for additional information for applications involving transit buses, trucks pulling dual trailers, vehicles having a series of heat exchangers in front of each other, or stationary applications.
OEM APPLICATIONS AND CUSTOM DESIGN UNITS
EFE can supply electric on-off fan drives that can be custom designed for a variety of cooling applications. Contact our Engineering Department at 800-338-4120 for further details.